This is a guest post from Monarch Airlines by Madeline Colborn
There’s nothing like the thrill of independent travel. But guided travel is also worth a second thought, as it can help to decrease risk and hassle – as well as maximise adventure – on your trip.
The choice is yours! It all depends on your destination, and the kind of holiday you’re after.
Secure your peace of mind
Hiring a guide or joining a tour can help you relax, as you put worries to rest and make the most of your holiday.
Image (c) all-about-egypt.com
In places such as Egypt, for example, having someone to show you around can help make your trip safer and easier. And this can be true wherever you go – even in places like Goa where most travel is trouble-free.
Remember these tips when deciding on a guide or tour:
- Guided travel is sometimes a must. If you want to travel off road in Egypt, for example, you need to hire a qualified guide and obtain the relevant permits from the Ministry of Interior
- It’s a good idea to check the latest travel advice about your destination on the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website at www.fco.gov.uk.
- For maximum peace of mind, you should choose guides and tours that are recommended by your travel operator
Make more of your adventure
It’s a misconception that intrepid travellers avoid guides and tours.
- An expert or local guide can make your holiday experience richer and more exciting
- Whether you’re interested in nature, culture or even extreme sports, a good guide will take you off the well-worn tourist trail and get you closer to the action
- Tours and guides needn’t break your holiday budget either. Take advantage of the low cost package holidays to Greece, for instance. A day trip by boat around the island of Corfu, leaving from Kontokali, is one great option
Be your own guide
Image (c) anchorage.net
On the other hand, there are many destinations where you can be sure to feel confident about exploring on your own. With a little research and planning, you might decide to take a DIY approach to guided travel. To plan your own self-guided adventure:
- Consult travel guides
- Share experiences with other travellers online
- Ask friends for their tips
- And consider following in the footsteps of your favourite travel writer
What do you think? Is it always better to travel independently or can a guided tour add something special to your trip? Let us know by leaving your comments below.